How to Add Moisture to Dry or Dull Hair
Dry hair – we’ve all been there. The sun and heat wreak havoc on our strands. No matter what you do, it feels like a lost cause. You wonder, “Am I destined to have dry, dull hair forever?”
Here’s the good news: we’ve rounded up some of the most common culprits that cause dry strands and give you the lowdown on what you can do to moisturise dull hair. You’ll have luscious and shiny locks before you know it.
Top 5 Causes of Dry Hair
Your hair is smart. Each strand has a protective layer – a cuticle – that helps protect your mane from damage. When a cuticle’s layers are weathered away, it has trouble retaining moisture and oil – but what causes this damage?
Problem 1: Over-Washing
Washing your hair feels good – it cleanses your hair and leaves it feeling brand new. But did you know that washing your hair too frequently can leave strands washed out? No thanks!
• Depending on your hair texture, try washing with shampoo every few days rather than every day. This will give your scalp a chance to replenish. If your hair needs a cleanse, try dry shampoo or rinsing with water only.
• Make sure to select a shampoo that is formulated to help quench the thirst of dry hair like our bio:renew Coconut Milk Hydrate Shampoo that will leave your strands adequately moisturised and hydrated.
Problem 2: Too Much Heat
While your curling iron and hair straightener can make your locks look incredible, they sadly cause a lot of damage. High temperatures strip your hair of moisture, leaving it dry and broken.
• Take a break from heat. Try styling your hair without tools. Instead, use a product like our bio:renew White Grapefruit & Mint Volume Shampoo to add volume and body to your locks without heat.
• If you can’t avoid using heat tools, make sure that you moisturise your hair well after. Try using our Argan Oil Shampoo, Conditioner and Treatment Jar Mask for damage repair.
Problem 3: Exposure to the Elements
Going outside is fun until it leaves your hair damaged and dry. From the sun's UV rays to harsh, cold weather, your mane is constantly put to the test. The elements work overtime to strip your locks of all of its moisture, leaving you frustrated.
• Hats are in fashion. When you are planning on spending a long time outside, wear your favourite hat or scarf to protect your mane from damage.
• Switch to a high-quality conditioner formulated to add moisture back into your hair. Our nature-inspired Coconut Milk Hydrate Conditioner gives thirsty hair all the hydration it needs.
Problem 4: Chemical Dyes
A little blonde here, a splash of red there. The more you colour your hair with traditional chemical dyes, the more likely it is to be left damaged and dry.
• The plant-based antioxidants in our bio:renew collections help fend off damaging free radicals that fade coloured hair. Hair is replenished with antioxidants with every wash.
• Before and after you colour your hair, replenish it with a softening hair mask like our Coconut Milk Sulphate-Free Hair Mask Treatment. It is made to deeply moisturise and nourish dry, damaged hair.
Problem 5: Long-Term Damage
Bleaching, dyeing, using styling tools and spending hours in the sun can do a number on your hair. The tell-tale sign of damaged hair: dry, brittle locks.
• The hairdresser is your #1 best friend. Plan to get your hair trimmed frequently to remove dead ends and damaged strands. This will make your mane grow healthier and retain moisture.
• Use a deep-conditioning hair mask – like our Argan Oil Sulphate-Free Treatment Jar Mask – made to help repair and revitalise dry, damaged hair.